This one’s specially for a friend of mine who recently became vegetarian. It’s quick, simple and delicious! I can’t claim credit, it came from a cookbook, but sadly I can’t remember which one.
This serves 2 as a light, summery main course, or 4-5 as a starter.
1 large aubergine
1) Slice the aubergine in half lengthways (if making it as a main course) or slice into thick rounds (approx 1 inch or so) if making it as a starter.
2) Lightly brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and place under a grill for 10-15 mins, turning occasionally to ensure it is cooked thoroughly on both sides. If you have cut it lengthways, I recommend grilling them cut side down first, and then flipping them over.
3) Once the aubergine is cooked, but still firm (not soggy), spread a layer of either concentrated sun-dried tomato paste or red pesto on the cut side (depending on how much you like tomatoes/pesto you can be quite generous), and then add a layer of fresh basil leaves (they should stick to the paste nicely).
4) Add on top of this some rounds of goat’s cheese, and place back under a hot grill for 5mins or so, until the goat’s cheese is all bubbly and melty.
5) Serve it immediately while hot and oozy on a bed of rocket salad, and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or another salad dressing of your choice.
6) You can sprinkle some walnuts or pine nuts into the salad for added crunch if you like that sort of thing.