Got this recipe from a free magazine at the Co-op a few weeks ago, and it’s also on their website.
They were surprisingly delicious and truffley, and a good thing to make if you’re stuck at home and need a treat (assuming you can find the ingredients).
- 40g toffees
- 50ml double cream
- 200g 85% dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder/desiccated coconut/ground pistachios or alternative things to roll them in!
(I found this really really super dark, so ended up adding a lot more cream than the recipe suggests. I think next time I would try half dark half milk chocolate maybe for balance – they were MEGA rich in the end, though this may have been because I doubled the amount of cream!).
- Put the toffees into a saucepan on a low heat and stir occasionally until melted (I was very impatient with this part but they do go eventually)
- Stir in the double cream and then add the chocolate, keeping on a low heat, stirring gently until melted and smooth
- Take off the heat and stir in the salt, then transfer the mixture to a bowl and leave in the fridge to cool for at least 4 hours (I tried after 3 hours but it wasn’t enough – this def needs the full chilling time).
- Once cool, lay out your toppings on plates and make small balls and roll them in the topping of your choice. (The original recipe suggests oiling your hands but this didn’t work at all for me – my hands were so warm they melted in my hands almost immediately and it all got VERY messy. I found it easier to use a spoon to squish and roll the ball shape first, so it didn’t melt too much while I was making the balls).