One thing you learn to accept as an aid worker is that you are never going to have a small, or especially environmentally-friendly carbon footprint. There are just too many flights involved! Not only do I travel to far-flung and exotic places for work, and then generally want to take holidays around the general area of wherever you happen to be, but I also have family in the UK and Australia that I try to visit once in a while, and a lot of friends having fabulous destination weddings at the moment in places like Canada and France! I think 2015 might turn out to be a record-breaking year for me in terms of flights and travel, as I look back at everywhere I have been this year, and am simultaneously busy planning both work trips and holidays for the coming months. I’ve decided to map it out compared to last year, which was also quite travel-heavy….
2014: I can’t remember how many internal flights I did in the Philippines, but if I had to guess I’d say
- Tacloban – Cebu – Tacloban x 3?
- Tacloban – Manila – Tacloban x 3?
- February/March: Tacloban – Cebu – Sydney – Perth – Cebu – Tacloban
- May: Tacloban – Manila – London – Manila – Tacloban
- July: Manila – Phuket – Manila
- November: Tacloban – Manila – London
- December: London – Sulaymaniyah (Iraq)
Total countries visited in 2014: 5 (Philippines, UK, Australia, Thailand, Iraq)
- February: Erbil – Amman – Erbil
- May: Erbil – London – Vancouver – London – Erbil,
- July: Sulaymaniyah – London
- August: London – Geneva – London
- September: London – Madrid – London
- December: London – Bangkok – Phuket – Chiang Mai – Bangkok – Sydney – Melbourne – Sydney – Bangkok – London
Total countries visited in 2015: 8 (Iraq, Jordan, UK, Canada, Switzerland, Spain, Australia, Thailand)
Phew! What a lot of travelling!
It’s annoying me that I’ve only just thought of signing up for some frequent flyer air miles! Ah well, better late than never…
Wow, you are living my dream!! All those countries you have gotten to visit…
If you go to Chiang Mai, kiss some ellies for me! there’s an elephant rescue and rehab place there I believe